Saturday 10 September 2016

New Stencil Fun from IndigoBlu

Hi Guys,
As some of you know i'm on the Design Team for IndigoBlu and I have been having such fun with the New Stencils making up some samples for their latest show on Hochanda with Lovely Jenny Marples.
I posted a few photos on Facebook and have received a few messages asking what techniques I used.
 So here are photos of the samples and a quick description on how I made them.
I have also included a video I filmed a little while ago called 'Painting with Embossing Powders'!

Just so you know the stencils were sold in sets of three on Hochanda. 
Here are the names of the sets and what each stencil is called.
 CITYLIFE
 Family, Cityscape, Whimsical houses,
 BELIEVE
Believe, Wild Butterflies & Faith
STEAMPUNK
Cogs and Gears, Damaged Dots & Damaged Damask
 This card was created using the Wild Butterfly Stencil as the main Focus and the background was  made using the paint I had used on two other stencils for different pieces. I just sprayed water on the stencils and put a piece of white card over the top and got a reverse image. 
The flower image was done with Matte Embossing paste then I sprinkled pink embossing powder over the wet image then gave it a blast with a heat gun. Just take care doing this as the embossing paste could bubble up and ruin your card!

For this card I used one of the papers from the New Range 'SteampunkesqueMixed Media Paper Pad and placed the New 'Cogs & Gears' Stencil over the top of it and ran it through my Big Shot with a piece of foam over the top to get a better image from the stencil. I then sanded over the paper to bring up the embossed cogs. I then placed the New Stencil 'Damaged Dots' over the top and sponged through

Indigoblu Artist's Acrylic Paint Miss Moneypenny, edged the dots with a white gel pen.

  
For this card I ran the Cog & Gears through my Big Shot, same process as above but used silver foil backed with card. I then sponged over three colours of distress inks and once dry sprayed it with gold sparkle. The sentiment is a die cut attached to a strip of vellum. 

For this card I used the old method of brass rubbing! Did you ever do this when at school on a trip to a Cathedral, Church etc?
I placed a thin piece of card over the Cityscape Stencil and rubbed over the top with Wax Crayons. (I found the chunky wax crayons better for this than the thin ones for this).This was backed onto a piece of black card to make it stand out more.

I had these little cotton bags in my stash and used the English Cottage Paints as they are great for stenciling onto material. I used two of the New Stencils, 'Wild Butterflies' and 'Faith'. (Before I started I placed a piece of cardboard inside the bag just to make sure the paints didn't bleed through). Apply the paints through the stencil using only a small amount of paint which you should work a little so you are applying almost next to nothing on your brush!
Once on layer was done and dry I then went over with the butterfly images. I mixed the paint with extra thick slap it on to give it a slight glossy finish. Once dry I added some beads to the butterflies bodies.

This was a simple card used from some leftover Extra Thick Slap-It-On mixed with paint that I had saved from a previous project. (Instead of just wiping it up and throwing it away I spread it onto a piece of card and left it to dry).
I stenciled on the Butterfly using ETSIO & Cinderella paint then once this was dry I went over it with the 'Damaged Dots' stencil and Snow White paint.

I had purchased a set of four coaster (£1) and gave them a make over. 
Luscious powders were mixed with water in spray bottles I used these colours to make a background with a A4 sheet of thin card which was cut to size. I then stamped and painted flower images from IndigoBlu and used the Stencils 'Believe' & Family to stencil on various words in Black Gesso, then Raven Black Metallic Paint.

Now this card was done using the stencil 'Damaged Damask'. I used my Versamak pad, pressing it down over the stencil onto white card.I then sprinkled over the image with several different colours of embossing powders. (If you would like to see how I did this I will add a link to a video tutorial I made a while back). Once heat set the card was cut into two panels to make this card. The inside of the card has a sentiment and part of the stencil design which I did using inks.

This card seemed to be a favorite! I first of all used the whole of the 'Whimsical Houses' Stencil as a background with Goldfinger paint. I then used the metal from a drinks can (Which I ran through my bigshot a few times to try and flatten it a bit)! and using the stencil and a embossing tool marked out three of the houses. I painted over the metal houses first in black gesso then Pheasant Bronze metallic paint. Once dry I sanded over the houses to bring back the lines and numbers.

This box was decorated with the 'Cityscape' stencil using embossing paste just through the dots. Once this was all dry I used distress inks to colour the box then went back in using the stencil to line the dots up once again and coloured them in with a contrasting colour ink.

The inside panels had words embossed on them using the stencils 'Believe and Family' Once the words were dry the panels were coloured in with distress inks and images were stamped on.

I hope you can see from all the above samples I have created that stencils can be used in so many different ways, I have only just scratched the surface. More ideas to come.
Happy Crafting xx



2 comments:

  1. awesome samples sue - loving the new stencils! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rachel, the stencils are great and you can use them in so many different ways. Thanks so much for leaving me your comment. Take care, Sue xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...