Saturday 11 February 2017

Cheesecloth flowers- A quick Tutorial!

Hello to you,
Today I would like to share how I make my cheesecloth flowers. 
I recently made a card using them as an embellishment and have had a couple of requests on how I made them so here we go.
The 1st card was the one I posted on FB, the 2nd card is one I made to show you how to make your own cheesecloth Flower.




What you need
Fine Cheesecloth
Slap-it-on
White Card- used to make your own card blank, layered piece to stencil on, base for the flower, leaves and sentiment.
Punch or circle die
Leaves Die (I used Tim Holtz Tattered Leaves)
Double sided tape
Black Ink pad
Stamp (IndigoBlu Word Blocks #2)
Luscious Powder or your choice of paints, inks, pens, to colour the flower.

How to make a Flower

Cut a strip of cheesecloth and cover with Slap-It-On. I found the best way to do this was to put a little (you can always add more if its not enough)  SIO onto your craft mat and work the cheesecloth onto it until it has been covered but not totally saturated. Gently pull the cheesecloth back into shape and leave to dry. (about 10 mins) This process stiffens the cheesecloth making it easier to work with and gives a better shape to the blooms.
 
While waiting for the cloth to dry out, make the base for the flower. I punched out a piece of thick card then covered it with double sided tape. 

At this stage I folded the cloth in half, length ways so when you have attached it to the tape base you can pull the cloth out slightly to give the flower more definition.
Remove the backing from the double sided tape on your circle and starting from one end of your cloth, press it into the middle and work it around the circle keeping the folded part on top.


Once you have finished winding the cloth around the circle and you can't see any more of the base, finish off by cutting off any extra cloth and sticking this end under the flower.
When you have finished this part, gently pull out the cheesecloth to make a fuller bloom.


I used two colours of Luscious powders to colour my flower. I mixed up the powder into thin paint.

Lightly paint your flower. If you want to darken the colour wait until the first coat is dry before adding more paint.

Add your choice of embellishment to the middle. Gems, beads or old pieces of jewellery are great for decorating these flowers.

I then stamped out the word 'Beauty' and die cut it out into a leaf shape. I also cut out a plain white leaf to layer under the word leaf.

The leaves were layered up, slightly off center to each other then glued to the underside of the flower.

Just using one flower was the perfect size for a little note card. I used a stencil to make a background to the flower, stamped and punched out a sentiment and the card was finished.
I had lots of fun making these flowers, I hope you have a go for yourself.
Happy Crafting xx



2 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous .i dont have any cheesecloth to hand but i have bandages or hessian i wonder if theyd work sue the bandage looks similar fibres ive got .and i thought they were tattered leaves youd used .top tutorial .ill have a go later but ill have to improvise with the pigments .thanks sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Natalie, and Thank you for leaving me your lovely comment. I think the bandages should work well with my tip, not sure about the hessian though. I have used this before without using the SIO as its a thicker material.
      Look forward to seeing your flowers either way.

      Delete

Please leave a comment...